At number fifteen we have filecrop.com with an estimated 3,000,000 page views per month. this service is closely tied with Rapidshare, a more familiar service to myself, which is barely ahead of filecrop with approximately 3,250,000 unique views per month. Filecrop allows it's users to peruse the shared Megaupload and Rapidshare public libraries which hosted an array of information, unfortunately including pirated content from around the globe. Recently, the creator of Megaupload, Kim Dotcom (yes, he changed his last name) was accused by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) of allegedly hosting and embedding over 500 million dollars worth of copywritten content on Megaupload. I plan to talk about this conflict for another series of posts, however for now just recognize that the RIAA is responsible for the take-down of Napster, Grokster, Limewire, and EACH of these site's users who were responsible for uploading the content.
I find it interesting that the sites at the bottom end of this top fifteen list are more of less carcasses of what was previously one of the most popular websites in file sharing history. Unfortunately, current intellectual property laws can get lawful content creators' services shutdown in the fight against privacy, a worthwhile discussion that I will touch on at a later date.
Good form, its been interesting over the past ten years to watch the evolution of file sharing. I really didn't think I would ever see megaupload go down, but its hard to deny the power the RIAA has in this regard. Strange to me that they dump so much money into the (impossible) task of making file sharing go away. Would that money not be better invested in development of a business model suited to the information age?
ReplyDeleteI'm with Ian on his last point: Wouldn't that money not be better invested in development of a business model suited to the information age?
ReplyDelete