My guess is that the unlimited file storage size has something to do with the longevity and meager popularity of this service; the one caveat being a maximum upload size of only 200MB. Clearly, bandwidth is an issue with this site, however storage is not whatsoever. Such is a trend I am seeing more and more with the variety of services saturating the file sharing market.
Fortunately for its users, Zippyshare has a blog which, though scarcely updated, describes site progress as well as maintenance and other issues. Additionally, Zippyshare is completely free! There is one catch, however, as files that have not been accessed in over thirty days old will be deleted to conserve server space. The site's user capabilities seem to be new as well; Zippyshare used to use a URL based access, however now it appears you are able to create an account on the site. A feature some would assume to be ever-present, it seems the site is more of a pet project and less of a file sharing service. This is only reinforced by the broken link to the FAQ section which is typically very helpful for new users such as myself.
While I can't really see myself or any other media professionals using the site, Zippyshare seems to be directed towards a more casual user base.
At first glance, this service looked sketchy as hell. I'd have to agree that its makes a bad first impression. I honestly feel like a popup is going to come up and ask for my credit card information or SIN or something.
ReplyDeleteTotally useless for the "real world", but I like that it's free, and for the average user it provides a very convenient way to move small files anywhere.
ReplyDelete